A Conversation with a Teen

This morning The Artist (my teen-age stepdaughter) and I had a conversation that went something like this:

The Artist: "blah blah blah blah blah...."

Me: "I have no idea what you just said.  I wasn't listening."

The Artist: "Good thing you weren't listening."

Me: [was able to contain my hysterical laughter, but did let a small smile out]

You see, we weren't having any sort of disagreement.  She just happened to be having some sort of struggle that she needed to voice.  Kids don't always do or say or act exactly like we want them to - when we want them to.  Hell, there are times when I don't act exactly like I would like myself to.  I try to take the time to understand that my children are people.  They have their own ideas, agendas, goals, and dreams.  Sure there are things I can say to them to 'hopefully' quicken their learning curve, but in the end their choices are just that...theirs.  So the next time your child doesn't do what you want them to, when you want them to - or they let out a little verbal frustration....just remember, they might have plans for their lives besides the plans you have for them.

1 comments:

Andrea said...

Well said, my wise friend. I love it when we remember that our kids are people too.....people who are in the process of learning and figuring things out just like we still are :) Kudos to you for being so respectful, loving, and supportive :)