Book Review 2

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen was a very interesting book. I thought this particular sentence written on the back of the book was a perfect description: "Girl, Interrupted is a clear-sighted, unflinching document that gives lasting and specific dimension to our definitions of sane and insane, mental illness and recovery." Because I'm sure that most of us at some point in our lives have asked the question, "Am I sane?"

In this book, Susanna (at age 18), was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and spent 18 months in the mental ward of a 'high class' hospital. One of my favorite parts of this book was when Susanna quoted her diagnosis: "Uncertainty about several life issues, such as self-image, sexual orientation, long-term goals or career choice, types of friends or lovers to have..." She goes on to say, "Isn't this a good description of adolescence? Moody, fickle, faddish, insecure: in short, impossible."

You couldn't pay me enough money to go back to adolescence....because I'm pretty sure *that* part of all our lives was a little bit crazy.

*Apparently the book was made into a movie. I have yet to see the movie, but it will be put into the Netflix queue right now.*

2 comments:

K.M. O'Sullivan said...

I'll watch the movie with you. I haven't read the book but I found the movie interesting, though flawed, but worth watching nonetheless.

~The M.F.P. said...

I would love that!