Sing Me a Song

When I was young I was often told that I couldn't sing, that I had a horrible voice.  I even had an aunt who offered to pay me money if I wouldn't sing in front of her.  I grew up thinking my voice was offensive to others.  I stayed FAR away from karaoke and eventually I even quit singing to the radio.

Several years ago we started playing Rock Band.  Obisously I was pretty shy about the mic.  What I liked about Rock Band though, is that it has a pitch indicator and according to the game....I could hit the pitch.  We invited friends over and even though no one was saying things like "Oh I just love it when you sing this song!", no one asked me to stop singing.  AND I was hitting 90+% of the notes, so my confidence level was rising.

I still wasn't a fan of karaoke.  I didn't want to be up there singing my heart out and people in the crowd thinking they needed to 'help me out', laugh at me, or cheer because I was finally done singing.  But I did go to karaoke for a friend's birthday and I sang a few songs I knew from Rock Band.  Little by little the voices of the past were being quieted by MY voice...the voice that was proving that I *can* sing.

Rock Band 3 ranks all of the bands according to score.  Obviously the better you sing/play the higher score you get.  Nathan and I were checking the rankings last night and guess what?  Our band (The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly Dog) is in the top 16% for singing!!!  This is the top 16% of ALL Rock Band bands on the PS3!  Not only that, but my kid (The Social Guy) actually says he loves it when I sing "Stand in the Rain" by Superchick and requests it often.  So kiss my ass bitches of the past...I can too sing!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Every time we get together for Rockband I have ALWAYS loved listening to you sing. I think you have a most beautiful voice :)

Gastenator said...

I think you are a great singer and I know that I've told you this before. Keep singing, girl. :)

~The M.F.P. said...

Thanks ladies <3 You both rock!