The Finale

Just over a week ago I finished my first mountain bike season.  I wasn't really sure if I was going to make it.  I had bruised my heel during my first run of the Ragnar Relay and it hadn't gotten completely better yet, in fact it hadn't gotten better at all. After wavering back and forth, I decided what the heck, one more ride probably wouldn't injure it further.  I would take it easy and slow.  I would be gentle to myself and allow myself to finish the race (and the season) without further injury.

Race day came.  It was cool and wet, another mud race.  As we lined up I noticed that only two of the four ladies I've been racing with all season showed up.  Hmph....I'm guaranteed to get a medal today!  How cool is that?  We took off and I continued with my plan of a leisurely ride....maybe a little too leisurely.  About half way through the race I 'remembered' I was RACING and kicked it into high gear.  I finished the race not last and without more injuries!  YAY for me!

I was full of optimism, pride, joy, and I was in awe of everything I had accomplished throughout the season.  I did it.  I biked the whole season with only one DNF.  Last Spring I started out over-weight and out of shape.  I've lost a lot of weight and I'm now close to being in the best shape of my life.  I started the season needing to ride the first race course as many times as possible through out the month before the race.  I ended my last race with only having pre-ridden two laps on the course.  I started out huffing and puffing my way up the hills.  I now wonder where all the hills have gone?  I used to walk everything that looked hard or scary.  I ended the year by going over logs, rocks, and even the dreaded drop berm.  And even though I still ended the year battling for not-last-place, I cannot describe to you how truly proud I am of myself.

This is something that's hard for me to say:  I am truly proud of myself.  
I did something amazing. 
I am an athlete. 
I can race. 
I can do just about anything. 

I'm proud of myself and I can't wait for next year - who knows, maybe I'll even get a medal for doing more then just showing up.

1 comments:

It's Better... said...

A definition of "pride" according to Webster: "A reasonable or justifiable self-respect."

You, MFP, have every right to be proud of yourself.