Fall Famliy Camping

We've tried to camp a few times this year, mostly due to our mountain bike season, but for the first time in my life I agreed to go Fall Family Camping.  We had it all planned out.  We would clear the calendar for the first weekend in October.  Then we'd wait to see if the forecast would be stellar.  We wouldn't make reservations, but we'd go up on Thursday so we wouldn't need them, and we would have the most terrific weekend of hiking and hanging with each other.

Wednesday night we double checked the forecast and everything seemed to be a "go".  We drifted off to bed with nothing but Mother Nature in our dreams.  A few hours later I was awoken a little differently then I had planned.  Kade had a sore, dry throat.  "Bummer", I thought.  He probably got the little cold Nathan and I had the week before.  I got him a drink and laid on the couch with him while he watched some cartoons.

A couple hours later Nathan and I debated whether we should continue with our camping plans or not.  We asked Kade if he thought he'd be okay.  He said, "No, I don't think I can do it."  I told him that it wasn't really any different going camping when you have a cold or staying at home.  He wasn't going to be allowed to watch tv all weekend anyway, so he might as well sit on our comfy camp chairs in front of the fire.  He still said, "No."  As knowledgeable parents, we decided what the heck.  We might as well go.  We've both had the cold and it wasn't *too* bad.

On our way out to the State Park we stopped at Target to pick up some batteries and a few gallons of water.  While I was there I picked up a Lego Mini Figures Sticker book for Kade.  I figure it would give him something kinda fun to look at and perk him up a bit.  When I got back to the truck, Nathan asked me if I thought Kade felt hot.  "No." I said.  "I don't think he feels warm.  He'll be fine." I assure him and off we go!

We circled the campground and found the perfect site.  There was only one other campsite next to us and behind our site was this amazing savanna prairie and then the bluffs off the river.  It must have been the most beautiful campsite I have ever seen.  The first thing we do is set Kade up in a camp chair and then Nathan headed out to find firewood.  Matt and Kelsey started to help me set up camp.

Kade starts to complain that he's cold.  I find a blanket for him and continue with set up.  The older kids and I start to get a little worried about Nathan.  He's been out looking for firewood for a looong time.  In fact, it's been so long that we're pretty much done with the set up.  All that's left is to pump up the air-mattresses and make the beds, but we can't do that until he comes back.  Nathan finally returns to the camp and says he couldn't find any fire wood.  He had gone to all three places that should have had wood available, but there wasn't any there.  Crap, we're gonna be cold tonight.  Oh well, it's going to be a great weekend.  We can handle one cold night.  The forecast is beautiful and our site in unbelievable.

Kade pipes up again.  He's getting 'really' cold.  I find him another blanket, a hat, and a scarf.  He's all snuggled up and we continue putting the finishing touches on the campsite.  I *just* finished making all the beds and I go to the truck to get my scarf and sweatshirt.  It's time to sit down, relax, and enjoy a brat.  I turn away from the truck and I hear, "HE'S THROWING UP!"  My heart sinks.  I run over to him.  I hold back the the blankets, the scarf, and take off his hat.  The poor kid pukes and pukes.  He finally finishes and it's pretty obvious we're gonna go home.  We eat a quick dinner, repack camp, and head all the way back.

Kade spent the rest of the weekend in front of the tv.  The rest of us spent the weekend commenting on what good weather we were having and how we'll need to try that campsite again next year.

3 comments:

~The M.F.P. said...

Oh, and this is the only photo we took of our campsite.

It's Better... said...

So are you still in the running for "Mother of the Year", or notsomuch?!

~The M.F.P. said...

I'm thinking notsomuch...