Cheesy Goodness?

I have a 'thing' for goat cheese.  I can vividly remember the first time I tried it.  I was pet/house sitting for a friend and had been raiding her cupboards.  I found rye crisp crackers and a few kinds of cheese.  I horked down the first cheese and can't even tell you what it was.  All I remember is that it was good and creamy...and I wanted more.  I opened up the fridge and saw she had goat cheese.

I thought to myself, "If my friend has goat cheese in her fridge, and my friend is a cheese lover, it's got to be good."

I put a nice sized hunk of the soft, creamy cheese on my plate next to my rye crisp crackers.  I filled up my wine glass and headed back toward the couch.

I log onto Facebook.

I spread the creamy goodness on my cracker.

I take a huge bite.

I almost throw up.

It tastes like barn.  I mean really.....it-tastes-exactly-like-barn.  As in I can taste the goat.  I can taste the hay or straw or what ever else they use to cover the floor of the barn...

I vow on Facebook to never-ever-ever eat 'barn' again.  Goat cheese is nasty.  It's not to be eaten by anyone....period.  Oh, and my friend is crazy for even having it in her house.

Months later, I'm over at my friend's house, she'd decided to re-introduce me to goat cheese.  I think it was some sort of fig and 'barn' concoction?  It wasn't too bad actually....I didn't totally gag at the first bite.  I did think it was a little cruel of her, considering she was well aware of my feelings towards all things 'barn', but I let it slide.

Again dinner at my friend's house....again with the goat cheese.....it was even better then the last time.

Another dinner with my friend....another round of goat cheese (maybe it was an asparagus, grapefruit, and 'barn' salad?)....shyly I admit....I kinda like 'barn'.

Slowly I start to experiment with goat cheese on my own.  And do you know what?  You can put goat cheese on just about anything!

New twist on cheese bread? Try goat cheese and chopped scallions.

Making a salad?  Add some goat cheese.

Having gyros?  Not without goat cheese.

Pizza night?  GOAT CHEESE!!!


Thanks Tori, for being relentlessness with the damn goat cheese...I'm forever a fan of 'barn'.


~The MFP

5 comments:

Goofy Mama said...

Yes, goat cheese is awesomeness.

Baglady said...

I love almost all cheese but I appreciate that goats cheese is a bit more of an acquired taste.

Maybe if I approached coffee your way I could bring myself to not spit it out when I accidentally drink it?

~The M.F.P. said...

Goofy Mama, Do you have a favorite way to eat it?

~The M.F.P. said...

Baglady, interesting idea. You'd have to start with things flavored with coffee first. Maybe try a Colorado Bulldog?

1 shot vodka
1 shot Kahlua coffee liqueur
milk
1 splash Coca-Cola

Goofy Mama said...

I like it on anything... probably especially in salads.