Bailey the Bendy and Barfing Dog

Our dog, Bailey, is quite the dog.  Not only is she extremely bendy, but she's a bit naughty too.  Like every good pet owner, we've learned to adapt our lives to keep her out of trouble.  We've flipped from being an 'over the top' kind of toilet paper family to being an 'under' type.  We close the door to the bathroom, the upstairs bedrooms, and the down stairs whenever we leave the house.  Our napkins are kept on top of a small pantry and the box of kleenex is always kept up high too.  (She has a thing for paper products.)

We had strict rules regarding the Halloween Candy this year.  You might remember our first rule:  Eat Your Candy

Our second rule was: Keep you candy shut up in the pantry.

One would think those two small rules would be pretty easy to follow, but unfortunately The Brainiac forgot rule number two.  (Don't ask me how that happened!)

The kids and I went out for the day.  Nathan was downstairs, working.  He heard a rumbling upstairs and came up to find the dog chowing down on The Brainiac's candy.  He didn't think she ate much of it, so we decided to let the natural consequences take place.  More then likely she would end up with diarrhea or throw it up - either way we were experienced with both of those situations.  That night she made it clear she needed to go out one extra time, no biggie, we can do that.

Monday night the family went swimming.  When we came home, The Brainiac decided he would check to see if Bailey the Bendy Dog had been a 'good girl' while we were gone.  He found his candy bucket empty, on the table....

We were now faced with the fact that she had eaten WAY too much candy for a dog her size.  We needed to induce vomiting.  We've never actually induced vomiting before, but we knew it was something we could do with a bit of hydrogen peroxide. 

We googled the correct dose. 

Nathan filled the syringe. 

The Artist took the dog to the back yard. 

I put on a pair of sweat pants and a grubby t-shirt. 

As Nathan was getting ready to walk out the door, with the syringe in hand, he asked The Brainiac, "You're sure your candy was in that bucket, right?"

The Brainiac reflects on that question....he says, "Um, I think so?"  Then he opens the pantry door and says, "Huh, I guess not.  My candy's right here!" 

Relief sweeps over us as we realize we don't need to induce vomiting in Bailey the Bendy Dog. 

I burst out in laughter because that's what I do.

We dispose of the peroxide and continue with a normal night.

Fast forward twelve hours later:  I hear the wrenching sound of a dog throwing up.  I scream at the kids to get her outside.  The Artist drags the dog out.  I clean up a bit of dog throw up off the entryway rug. 

"Hmmmph..." I think,  "The dog threw up anyways.  Damn dog."

Five minutes later...same drill, only this time The Artist says, "Oh, she threw up on the steps too."

I go to clean up her mess and I find a HUGE, tightly-wound, wad of candy wrappers on the steps...I guess we *could have* induced vomiting last night. 

~ I actually considered taking a picture of the wad of wrappers that came out of her.  You know, for the sake of the blog - what are blogs without pictures?  Instead I decided I'd post a couple of pictures of her doing what she does best:


0 comments: