First Race of the Year

It's been almost a week since my first mountain bike race and I haven't been able to blog about it.  I think it's because the 'story' didn't end the way I though it should have.

In my world, the MFPrincess wins first, second, or even third place and bounds up the podium in her fancy electric blue tutu to collect her medal.  The crowd goes completely wild and she not only gets kudos for winning a medal, but she also receives multiple compliments on her sense of fashion and fun.

In the real world, the race went something like this:  The MFPrincess thought she was in third place (for her catagory, not over-all) for most of the race.  She could see second place just ahead of her and during the last lap of the race really pushed and gave it every thing she had.  The Princess was riding faster then ever before and just knew she would be able to pass the girl in second place.  As she was speeding down the trail, she took a sharp, uphill, left turn that her bike didn't agree with.  The Princess slammed down to the earth and severely twisted her ankle.  She got up, brushed herself off, and refused to cry (or give up).  Very carefully she got back on her bike.  She took slow and painful pedals.  Even though she knew her chances for second place were gone, she wanted to finish the race.  While climbing the last hill, The Princess was passed by a girl in a neon pink top and neon blue stretch pants.  She did not yell at this girl, "What do you think this is, 1987?"  Instead she said, "Finish strong!"

Later at home, while I was counting my bruises and icing my ankle, I found out that I did not finish in fourth place like I thought.  I was seventh, which makes me feel a little sad.  Not sad enough to quit, but I am just a bit sad.



 *The MFPrincess was complemented several times for her fancy tutu.

0 comments: