Totally High School



My twentieth high school reunion is this summer.  I've been putting off my RSVP...until tonight.  While my high school years were 'fine', I don't remember them as the be-all-end-all of life.  I wasn't the smartest, dumbest, cutest, ugliest, sassiest (okay, I *might* have been the sassiest), weirdest (and I was pretty weird) person in my graduating class.  I have no huge desire to go back and prove to people that I am now super smart and pretty.  Because unlike Mary Poppins, who is practically perfect in every way, I'm...me, not even close to perfection, but pretty freaking fantastic.

And there are definitely people I would want to see....but they aren't the people who teased me because of my generous amount of arm hair in Mr. Johnson's social studies class (I shaved my arms when I got home that afternoon.), or the boys who teased me in the common area about being a Carpenter's Dream - flat as a board and never been screwed.  The people I would like to see are the girls who stuck with me through the whole weird journey called high school.  I want to meet their husbands and see pictures of their kids.  Then I get crazy sad because I wish I would have put more effort into my relationships with them when I was younger...but I didn't.  I made other choices.  These 'other choices' are the reason my RSVP says, "No."

To the class of 1990:  I wish for all of you the very best....except for one of you, who I don't.

0 comments: