Freezer Hide and Seek

From time to time I play a little game with my family.  It's called something like..."How Long Can Mom Go Without Stopping At The Grocery Store?" or I like to call it "How Creative Can Mom Get Before We Refuse To Eat?"  We've been playing the game this past week.  We did really great until Sunday.  Sunday was Easter and we had a wonderful dinner, while visiting family.  But, we came home late and hungry.

I scanned the freezer and fridge.  I decided to make some sort of creamy-lemon-caper-chicken-pasta thing.  I was tired though and really did not feel like cooking.  Natron made me a deal that we could order Chinese food for dinner if I could order for less then $20.  DEAL!!!  We had Chinese, sent the kids to bed, and all was good at the Olson House.

The next day for dinner I looked in the fridge for the chicken I had taken out the night before.  Hmph.  I can't find it.  I search the freezer.  No luck.  Well, that's weird.  I *know* I took it out to defrost because I was going to use it.  What the heck?  I search the fridge again.....and the freezer.  Wow, it's no where to be found.  And then I open the microwave...yep, there it is.  Nasty, defrosted, ruined chicken.  Did it wreck my game? Oh no, it just ended up getting a bit more interesting :)

Monday I made some sort of pork chop stir fry.  Tuesday we had pork chop, rice, frozen veggie hotdish.  (Nasty, but the kids ate it up like crazy!)  Wednesday we had venison stroganoff on spaghetti noodles (totally klassy) and tonight....well crap.  I'm out of proteins. 

We had nine chicken nuggets that I split between the three kids.  Then they ate up what was left of the noodles (no sauce) and hotdish.  BUT WAIT.  What is that shiny package at the back of the freezer?  A rouge package of pork chops?  I squeal with delight!  I rip open the package and find: A FREAKING PORTION OF GROUND BEEF!!!  SCORE!  Thursday night ends with Italian Nachos (tortilla chips topped with beef - browned with the rest of the bruschetta I had in the fridge, and mozzarella cheese).  It's Friday tomorrow and I get to go shopping.  Team Olson wins!

0 comments: