Mind Meld

You know how it is when you know someone so well that you can finish each others sentences?  Or that you can change topics mid-conversation and the other person doesn't skip a beat and is right there on the new topic with you?  This is how my husband and I are.  For example:

A couple nights ago we were coming home after a visit with Nathan's grandpa.  It was late and dark.  We were on unfamiliar roads.  Nathan was at the wheel and I was playing Navigator.  We were all a bit on the sleepy side, but after having missed a turn or two on a previous trip we were vigilant with the Mapquest directions in my hand and Nathan's use of the trip odometer. 

The Artist (my 15 year old step-daughter) and The Brainiac (my 9 year old son) were watching a movie in the back seat on my laptop.  The Social Guy (my 16 year old son) was in the middle seat, listening to the Vikings game.  Nathan and my conversation was peppered with giggles from The Artist and The Brainiac and there were also brief updates on the Vikings game from The Social Guy.

There was a lull in the conversation.  I noticed he was driving pretty fast as we were approaching our next turn.  I say in a loud clear voice, "4."...nothing happens.

I'm a bit confused and so I say a little louder, "4!"...again nothing happens.

I start to panic.  He's not slowing down.  I've told him twice now that the turn is RIGHT THERE...I poke him on the shoulder and shout, "4!!!"  He slams on the breaks and makes the turn...I look at him and ask him if he's okay?  Does he want me to drive?

He says, "No, I just thought you were talking about Brett Farve."


Mind Meld Fail...

0 comments: