Pork Three Ways

I'm not a good grocery shopper.  I've read about the rules on being a good grocery shopper.  You know; make a list, don't buy anything that's not on the list, compare prices, buy what's on sale...blah blah blah.  I just don't usually follow them.

I have a magnetic notepad stuck to my fridge.  The rules of the house are "if we run out of something or it's low, write it on the list so I can pick it up the next time I go shopping."  Nathan and the kids will sometimes jot stuff down on that list.  In fact they are better at using the list then I am and I'm not sure why.  See, I don't usually check that list before I go and it is even more rare if I bring that list along with me.  I, more often then not, head out to the grocery store list-less.  I know I need meat, veggies, and milk.  The rest of what I need or exactly which cuts of meat or type of veggies I need I have no clue.  I just kinda figure it out when I get there.

So last week the local grocery store had a sale on pork chops.  A big, huge family-style pack of chops.  We haven't had them in a long time, so I was super excited to put that huge pack of chops in my cart.  I knew I wouldn't be using them until the next week, so I stuffed them into the freezer and forgot about them.  A few days later I thought, "Hey, wouldn't pork chops be soooo good?" and I took the pack out of the freezer.  Fast forward to tonight:

I get home from homeschool play day.  I look in the kitchen and it's a mess.  I do the minimum so I can start cooking.  Nathan comes up from his home office to help me.  I take out the pork chops.  I start putting them on the pan.  I notice the four pork chops that were on the top of the mega pack are nicely, uniformly cut.  Underneath these first four pork chops are some smaller cut chops and then one *huge-ass* pork chop.  I think, "Who the hell cut these pork chops?  These four smaller ones look like freaking ribs and this giant one could very well be a roast!"  I shake my head in frustration at the meat counter, internally cursing them for putting the good looking chops on top and then screwing me with these other grotesque cuts on the bottom.  Then my eyes hit the label on my meat:

Pork Loin Assortment

I guess those four smaller ones *are* ribs and the giant one is indeed a roast.  Morale of the story: Shop with a list AND read the label?

0 comments: